Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Hodgpepodge 101

Welcome to this week's edition of the Wednesday Hodgepodge.  We're into a new century here so to speak as we've just completed Volume 100.  This is a friendly group and everyone's welcome to play along.  

Last time we played I asked for your favorite and least favorite thing about the Hodgepodge.  A few people said they felt if they weren't in the top 15 to link up they didn't get as many visitors as those who linked up early.  I just want to encourage everyone who has the time to stop back by the Hodgepodge later in the day or week to say hi to bloggers further down the list.  Everyone wants to feel like they're part of the neighborhood!  

I try my best to eventually get around to everyone, but I do know I dropped the ball on Volume 100 due to the hurricane and our lengthy power outage.   

Okay, here are my answers to this week's questions-


1.  What rule of life should never be broken?

The Golden One.  
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."  

Sadly it is broken on a fairly regular basis.  

2. What's your favorite family recipe?

My mom has always been an excellent cook, as was her mom before her, so this one is really hard to answer.  A few favorites are my grandma's rolls, my mama's enchilada recipe, her meatloaf, and pretty much any dessert she creates.  She is master of the Christmas Cookie.  

3. Is the media manipulative?

I'm not sure we know.  It certainly feels that way sometimes but maybe that's our own bias coming in to play.  I cannot think of a single news outlet these days that does not come with a pretty obvious bias and that makes it really difficult to get 'just the facts'.  

Not that long ago news was reported in a fairly straightforward manner as opposed to the way its done now-reported from a particular angle then discussed, dissected, analyzed, repackaged and handed back to us in the form of someone telling us what we should think about what they have deemed important. I don't think it's good for America.  At all.  

4. Hubs and I saw Skyfall last weekend...are you a fan of the Bond films?  If so, who's your favorite Bond?

I am a fan of the Bond films, and actually prefer the newer more serious scripts to the older slightly campy story lines.  Plus the new ones feature Daniel Craig. 'Nuff said.

5. What is one thing you hope people never say about you?

I hope the word selfish is never used to describe me. 

6. What's a nearby tourist attraction you'd like to see, but haven't gotten around to visiting?

Ellis Island.  It's on my list of places to go before we move but we haven't gotten there yet.  No we're not moving anytime soon, but I make a list everywhere I live. Time has a funny way of getting away from you and before you know it your furniture is on a moving van and you're saying, '...but we never got to ....'

7. Where's your favorite tree?

I love this question.  Several popped into my head, one being a big shady tree in the backyard corner of the house where I grew up.  Technically the tree was on our neighbor's property but its canopy spread into our yard too.  My sister and I, along with our friends, played Barbies, Kiddles, and dress up for hours under that big tree.  
Another would be a spectacular tree that stood alone on a small hillside on my college campus.  Hubs (who was not yet my hubs) and I had lots of long talks under that big tree.  We still call it 'our tree'.  

And finally, it would be this delicate red maple in the backyard of our first NJ home-


I wrote about it here

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

What do bloggers who meet in real life do when they get together?  They go stand in line to meet other bloggers. I'm looking forward to Saturday when Kim (Kimberly's Korner) and I get to see Ree Drummond (aka The Pioneer Woman) in person at a nearby bookstore.  Maybe she'll take an immediate liking to us and invite us to her ranch?  





42 comments:

  1. I love the photo! That must've been fun to clean up all those leaves. ;) I agree we should visit everyones page too! I've been guilty of not doing that. ;o

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know...I had actually thought of answering #1 the same way. I think that goes to the core of what we, as humans, should do. This world would be a much perfect place if everyone ascribed to this rule.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed reading your answers. Ellis Island would definitely be a place to visit. I don't live close to it at all, but think it would be a really interesting place to visit. So much history. To stand where so many have stood as they entered this country.
    Hope you have a Great time on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how awesome to meet Ree! Do be sure to post a picture!! :-) Glad things are getting back to normal for you... still praying for everyone dealing with the aftermath of Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. Agreed that it is forgotten.
    2. Last year a niece compiled all our family recipes into a cookbook. Lovely treasure! (Although no one knows how our grandmother made those amazing rolls!)
    3. Hubby's uncle wrote a book called "How the News Makes Us Dumb". Interesting read.
    4. Planning on seeing this movie soon.
    5. Inconsiderate would be my answer to this one about me.
    6. Ellis Island would be interesting. I wish I had tourist attractions. The closet ones I can think of: World's Largest Ball of Twine; Jolly Green Giant statue; The Spam Museum. Yes, I live in a classy part of the US. ;)
    7. I had Little Kiddles, too! And troll dolls.
    8. Can I come with you when you go to Ree's ranch? My daughter-in-law wants to go too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great answers Joyce. Have fun on Saturday, I love Ree Drummond. I have her cookbook and I watch her on Saturday mornings. I'm hooking up early here, I won't be on my computer tomorrow.
    Thanks again for the great questions! I would love to visit Ellis Island, it's on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goodness, I do believe we must have had a psychic link for some of our answers! lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I like my Bond films, and I saw Skyfall over the weekend too. I was well pleased. I'm really enjoying the way that Daniel Craig is interpreting the role. He's become my favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tell Ree I said, "Hey!" ... :) I'm a blogger too and want to go to her ranch (and it's only 4 hours from house!!) ... :) Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have fun meeting Ree! I got the chance last year and it was great fun. She's just as nice in person as she seems. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. maple trees are so pretty. My hubby studied forestry so many of our dates were around tree identification.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope she invites us! LOL. She can cook for us. See you then!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The tree thing must a suburban/country thing. Growing up in the city there weren't really trees that wouldn't get cut down because of disease or because they endangered buildings unless you went to parks or something to visit.

    Good answer to question 1!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You and Kim are so lucky to be seeing Ree! I love watching her cooking show on Saturdays! What fun the two of you will have! That picture of you and your family underneath that big tree is so cute...that's nearly as many leaves as we have in our backyard. They keep falling, too! I see no end in the immediate future, either.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wasn't sure what you meant about 'your favorite tree'...where it is or what kind, so I did an answer to both. LOL

    As for Daniel Craig...I agree, he's the best.

    "Master of the Christmas Cookie"...yum, just thinking of this whole concept.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow. I'm sooo jealous that you get to meet Ree!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Same answer to #1. Our trees here are still holding on to some of their leaves and color.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would love to see Ellis Island. I have read many books about it. I am not aware that any of my People have come through there, but wouldn't that be something to find out if they did??!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loved your responses....and whoooo hoooo...I am actually in the top twenty this week. So jealous that you get to see Ree Drummond. She is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm jealous...you get to me Ree Drummond! That is so awesome and I hope you guys have a great time.

    Ellis Island...I'd love to see that too.

    Daniel Craig...now see I really don't like him as James Bond that well. Maybe I'll see this new one and change my mind. I'll at least try to go with an open mind...but really he is no Pierce Brosnan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ellis Island is worth the trip. There is a lot of history there. Even our teenagers enjoyed the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would love to see Ellis Island too! I really feel like I should at least try ONE Bond film now. Have a great time on your trip...how fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your answer for #1 will be difficult to beat, why didn't I think of that!
    Enjoy your outing to meet "The Pioneer Woman" on Saturday :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Have fun on Saturday! I love the Pioneer Woman.. she amazes me. I'm sure you ladies will have a great time in line together :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. As much as I love trees, the leae they leave on the ground for me to rake are not as much loved as when the leaves stay on the trees! Ellis Island is on my Bucket list as well.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It seems like most everyone answered #1 with the Golden Rule.

    I too prefer the newer 007 movies, but I prefer the older Bond (Sean Connery). Although Daniel Craig isn't hard on the eyes either. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I would love to see Ellis Island some day.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Welcome back, we sure missed you last week. And, oh, to go to Ree's Ranch. My daughter and I just know that one day we're going to get to do that. She seems like such a down to earth person and I'd love to spend some time with her. You and Kim have fun! I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am so jealous you met Ree! Awesome! I would love to go to Ellis Island also.

    Have a great week!

    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hope you and Kim have fun seeing The Pioneer Women. If Michigan was closer, I would love to join you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. We had three of the same answers- The Golden Rule, Ellis Island and the maple tree! Loved your other answers too.
    Thanks for another great week of Hodgepodge :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I've only met a fellow blogger once and it was a wonderful experience. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I so agree with #6! I've got several places where we used to live that I'm now regretting I never got around to seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm so jealous that you're going to see The Pioneer Woman. I've been following her blog for several years and have both her cookbooks. I so want to take a cooking class at the ranch!

    ReplyDelete
  35. :) Have fun seeing Pioneer Woman. I've never met a blogger in real life I don't think.

    Nice to join up again this week. Thanks!
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  36. I am SO jealous that you get to meet The Pioneer Woman! I hope you do get invited to her ranch :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love red maple trees! My dad has one in his yard and it's so pretty! We had a weeping willow in our yard when I was growing up that was my favorite. We've done all the nearby tourist attractions that I'm interested in but I have a HUGE list of places in other parts of the country. Maybe I'll get to see them one day. Hope your girls are well!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I can't believe you haven't been to Ellis Island! Ha. Just kidding. It is worth the (hassle) trip though. :)

    How fun for you and your neighbor bloggers. I have yet to meet one IRL. One of these days, perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  39. i've been to NYC 3 times but never ellis island... i think it would be so cool! next time...

    ReplyDelete
  40. Missed HP this week but totally agree with your 1 and 3 and been to NYC so many times and never stepped foot on Ellis island! Some day and I also hope someday when I'm in NJ to share coffee with you! Well not the same cup but you know what I mean! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Oh, man! I want to go with you to meet PW!
    Shoot!
    Can't wait to hear all about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Oh, man! I want to go with you to meet PW!
    Shoot!
    Can't wait to hear all about it.
    (This may have posted twice. Blogging is hard for me)

    ReplyDelete