Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The Hodgepodge Centennial

Whoohoo!  Volume 100!  We did it!  Go us!

I've met so many nice bloggers thru this little ole meme and I do intend to keep it going as long as I have questions to fill the space.  Thanks for playing along so faithfully each week, or whenever it fits your schedule.  It feels like a little bit of home when I check in here every Wednesday.  I love seeing the old (meant in the nicest sense of the word) familiar, and always some new names in the linky too.

I'm writing my post ahead of an impending hurricane which I hope is a non-event by Hodgepodge day.  I will do my best to get round to everyone, but much will depend on the power situation in my house.

Here are my answers to this week's questions-


1.  What creeps you out?

Quite a lot of things actually...maggots, the cartilage in canned salmon, spiders that crunch when you squish them, chewing noises, basements, certain cuts of raw chicken.  There's also a whole category of things I refer to as creepy 'like Joe Namath's knee'.  

When my sister and I were kids we saw a picture of his mangled knee in a magazine and it creeped us out.  From that day forward anytime something creeped us out in a way that couldn't quite be explained in words we'd just say, 'it's like Joe Namath's knee'.  We knew what we meant.  I've got hubs saying it now too.  

2.  What's your least favorite candy?

Hmmm...is there a candy I don't love?  I guess I'll say a Maryjane although if you put one in front of me I'd probably eat it.   That's just how I roll when it comes to candy.  Do they still make Maryjanes?  They were small chewy peanutbutter flavored squares.   

3. Are you a fan of scary movies?  What's the scariest movie you've ever seen?

Not the horror kind of scary, aka slasher movies.  I do love mysteries though and a well done mystery can be far scarier than something billed as a horror flick.  

Probably the scariest movie I ever saw was The Exorcist.  I was in college and went home with a friend for the weekend.  I was sleeping alone in what was more or less a converted attic, and she talked me into watching The Exorcist right before bed.  Big mistake.  

I'm careful about what I watch because I know myself.  I still remember seeing a movie as a young teenager called 83 Hours to Dawn...I think it was remade in the 90's, but I saw the original.  It was about a wealthy man's daughter who was kidnapped and then buried alive in a box.  He had 83 hours to find her.  That movie gave me nightmares for a long time.  

I might have one tonite just typing that.

4.  What part of life confuses you the most?

Hungry children.
Mistreated or abused children. 
Motherless children.  

All of these are hard for me to understand.      

5. Pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, poppy...your favorite seed?

Sesame.  I don't eat them plain obviously...they're tiny!  But I love their flavor and I'm a fan of sesame chicken, sesame seed bagels, and tahini which is a paste made from sesame seeds that's popular in Greek and also Middle Eastern cooking.   

6. Imagine your life ten years from today...what's changed?

I hope in ten years time I'm a mother-in-law to some sweet boys who know the girls they've chosen are 'worth far above rubies'.  

I also really hope somebody is calling me grandma.  
No pressure girls-ha!

I feel certain we'll have left the land of high taxes behind and headed south for a simpler life beside a lake somewhere.   

7.  What do you a) love most and b) like least about the Hodgepodge?

I think I answered part a in my spiel yesterday and again in my blurb up top.  

What do I like least?  

Well, there is that pressure to come up with seven new questions every.single.week.  Most weeks they just roll right off my brain and onto my blog, but every now and then I draw a blank.  I do keep a file on my computer where I drop questions that pop into my head as I'm out and about so if I'm really stuck I'll take one from there. I don't like to let that inventory drop too low.     

If you have a question you think would work in the HP by all means, send it my way.  Pronto.  

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

I feel like I should insert something about the hurricane but I'm writing this on Sunday evening and cannot predict how things will look by the time this actually posts.

How about this...anyone watching The Amazing Race this season?  Who are you rooting for?  





45 comments:

  1. We had some similar answers...Exorcist was by far the scariest thing...hated it, haha. I also like a good suspense over a horror. And don't honestly think there is a candy I wouldn't eat : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I don't watch the Amazing Race although my daughter actually had a part in one the episodes when it came to toronto years ago. She handed the next clue to the couple who eventaully ended in second place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. maryjanes? I dont think i heard of that.. Only little girl shoes. I don't like most powdery candy like willy wonka brands etc. I am definitely a chocolate girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To help with your questions, you might consider the following books, which have great prompts (I use them in my classroom, and the kids really enjoy them): "Would You Rather" and "If."

    I am watching The Amazing Race. I like the long-haired dudes (I'm not good with names) as well as the young couple that's dating. The twins annoy me. They are so loud and whiny!

    Hope all is well with you! I am used to living with the threat of hurricanes and have ridden out many, although not with cold temps to boot. Praying that you didn't get any wind or rain damage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you wrote MaryJanes, I thought of black patent leather shoes for little girls. Oh, I wonder what THOSE would taste like! Haha. I like to think I'm too young to remember Maryjanes, the candy, but I was probably just a poor deprived kid getting junked up on Pixie Stix. I hope you've got little ones calling you "grandma" in the next 10 years. That was my first reaction to the question!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the 100th volume!
    Thanks for sharing wonderful topics with us every week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope this comment finds you and your family safe and dry.
    I also don't like to watch anything scary or upsetting before going to bed.
    Like Joe Nammoth's knee ... I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, again, Joyce, for continuing on with Hodgepodge amidst all that's happened in your area. Oh, how I remember The Exorcist...I'd have to agree...that was over-the-top scary! I'm not a fan of anything having to do with demonic possession. I'm hoping for grandbabies, too, in 10 years! Chris and I want to live on or near a lake right here in the good ol' South! Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on 100!!! And if I do ever think of some question that may work well with your 'scheme of things'...I'll be sure to let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praying this finds your family safe and secure. Congrats on the 100th Hodge Podge. I love being able to visit with everyone and learn more about them through your questions, which I might add are short of brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just realized that did not come out right. In my part of the country "short of brilliant" is slang for absolutely brilliant. Thought I better explain that it was a compliment not an insult. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A quick update...no power here and my 3G very intermittent. We are charging electronics via the car so trying to conserve precious battery power. Minor damage to the exterior of the house but nothing thru the roof or windows, dry basement, and we are safe. As a bonus my new landscaping survived the terrifying winds , protected by the big rock. As were we : ).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes they still make MaryJanes and I love them. I recently saw a coupon for them! A simpler life next to a lake sounds perfect, along with those little ones calling you grandma. I watched Amazing Race for a few weeks when Jeff & Jordon were on from Big Brother. Then last year I watched because of Rachel & Brendon. (Yes she is annoying) Anyway I got hooked and yes I am watching it. I actually like many of the teams so I'm not sure yet. Hope your doing okay. I can't believe all that I have seen.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your 10 years from now answer and I'm betting that likely all of those will happen. And, it will be some of the best years of your life. I promise!

    Hoping you all are climbing out of the devastation of Sandy and I think I saw on FB that you did not lose power.

    Thanks for 100 weeks of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you're safe and don't have any major damage!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Since I'm not a fan of peanut butter, I should have included the Maryjanes. Ugh!

    Love your answer to #6.

    And I'm so very glad to hear that all things considered, you all are doing well. Praying that your power will be restored soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. All the things you mentioned creep me out and also the same on confused....maryjanes...I'd probably eat it too! I'm glad all is good on your end except the power part. It's really amazing and devastating the damage one storm did. I hope and pray life is restored soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love those answers. I hope you are ok....I know you live in the area of Frankenstorm. Praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so happy to see your update about the storm! Praise the Lord for your safety and only minor damage.

    You are one special lady! I don't know how you had enough peace of mind to carry on with the meme this week, with everything that was going on in your area! Our 100th Hodgepodge edition will be memorable for more than one reason, huh?

    They do still make Mary Janes. I bought some a few weeks ago, but they don't taste as good as they did when I was a child! Perhaps that is a good thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really enjoy your meme. Hope that you get your power back real soon. My prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hooray for 100 :) I cant do scary movies either - I dont really understand why people like to be scared...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Glad you are safe and sound!

    What about the flavored Tootsie Rolls? Do you like them?

    Questions for future Hodgepodge:
    What was your worst Halloween Costume?
    What was a favorite memory from school?

    That's all I got. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your answer for #4 is totally true, I don't understand those things either. And I can totally see where coming up with seven questions every week could get a bit difficult sometimes. Having to come up with answers does too! (But it's still fun!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations Joyce! This is quite an accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  25. So glad you're safe. Hope your power comes back very soon. Most of your creepy things creep me out too. : )

    ReplyDelete
  26. That house next to a lake sounds so good to me. Wish we had such a lake...
    I'm glad you guys are safe and hope your girls are too.
    Happy 100th hodgepodge!! You are the queen! And we love you! :)

    P.S.
    Some questions for the future maybe:
    1. How do you make your life simpler?

    2. What's the proudest moment of your life?

    3. What was the last "blunder" you had in the kitchen?

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are really great questions this week Joyce and again, thank you for coming up with them each week. Hope all is well with you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I gave up on the Amazing Race this season. I got tired of the eating challenges, the lack of people to like, and it seems like they keep going to the same places. Plus I got tired of "reusing" their other reality tv people.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've never heard of a maryjane. Hmm.

    Since we seem to have been traveling on the past few Sundays I've only seen The Amazing Race once so I haven't gotten to know the teams yet.

    Saw your update comment... yay! Good to hear you're doing fine and that your landscaping survived!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy 100th! I hope you're staying safe, Joyce!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congrats on making it to 100! I rarely play along as you know, but routinely check out the questions. I feel compelled to answer one here today: #3 regarding scary movies. No I am not a fan, but I watched a VERY SCARY one last night...2016! It had me up all night and I haven't forgotten the scariest bits even in the light of day. Hoping I can shake these images soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hey?
    I have a couple of questions for you [maybe you've already asked them] - but here goes...
    You asking: "If I were to come to your house for dinner, what would you cook for me?'

    and

    Which would you rather do for a trip? African Safari, Ride down the Amazon, or Climb to the peak of a mountain?

    ...just thinking

    ReplyDelete
  33. Joyce, I hope you & yours are ok. I'm saying a prayer for you guys. Hurricane Sandy sure made a mess of things, didn't she? One blog buddy is calling her Frankenstorm. Now that seem appropriate, doesn't it? Oh well, I'm linked up and I do appreciate your dedication to this meme. I got my post up earlier today and then forgot to link up. Silly me!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Glad to hear your report in the comments. For my being tardy with my answers this week, I passed your update on in my post with a request fr thoughts and prayers for all of you in Sandy's path. I hope there's some semblance of normal soon!

    I have a similar view of candy, with the two exceptions I mentioned in my answers, I'll still eat any bite-sized ones for the sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Congrats on 100 Hodgepodge's. That is a lot of questions. I hope you are OK and have power. I've been watching the news and seeing all that is lost and wonder where you are in that mess. Did the new landscapping hold up?

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm participating for the first time today. I have enjoyed reading answers posted on Wednesdays over at Mocha with Linda and CiCi's Corner for a long time. Thought I'd join in as you celebrate 100!
    Have a good evening!
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  37. Ew. I never even considered maggots. Blech.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Joyce
    congrats on the 100!! glad to read you and your family is safe and sound. Understand about using your cell for the internet. The link to your question wouldn't work for me

    Do you prefer Chicken, Meat, Pork, Fish?
    would you rather Water ski, Snow ski and why?
    Would you rather have real plants or fake plants, why or why not?

    ReplyDelete
  39. Your life 10 years from now sounds like perfection. I hope all your wishes come true.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Scariest movie? "In Cold Blood" - an old movie I wish I had never seen, as it was based on a true story. Awful.Awful.Awful.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Amen to chewing noises! Drive me bananas ;) Can't believe it's 100!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I remember Mary Janes! They were always the last things kicking around in the Trick or Treat bags and no one would ever trade for them!!

    I am so glad you plan on continuing the Hodgepodge! I was worried you might be getting tired of it. Thank you again for doing it every week!

    Hope you and Hubs are safe and sound and powering up REAL soon!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I'm so glad to hear that y'all are well! You were in my thoughts this past week. Congrats on the 100th Hodgepodge, what an accomplishment (coming from the woman who can't seem to keep consecutive blog posts going. ;) ).

    ReplyDelete