Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Amazing Wednesday Hodgepodge Vol 61

Welcome to the Wednesday Hodgepodge...so glad you joined the fun today. Be sure to add your link to the bottom of my post and then go visiting. Here are my answers-



1. Lake Superior University has once again banished a list of words/phrases they think should be banished from the Queen's English in 2012-

amazing, baby bump, shared sacrifice, occupy, blowback, man cave, the new normal, pet parent, win the future, ginormous, trickeration and thank you in advance.

Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why. Go here to read more about how the words were chosen.

Well, I love to use the word ginormous so not that one. I'm going with occupy because I'm beyond sick of it.

2. Are you easily embarrassed?

I think I used to be but I've learned to laugh at myself more easily as I've gotten older.

3. what is your go-to snack?

This time of year it's a clementine. I think its one of natures most perfect foods. If I don't have fruit in the house (which is extremely rare) then I'll opt for pretzels. Not very exciting I know but a handful of pretzels takes the edge off of hunger pangs and is just enough to keep me from going for the M&M's.

4. Have you ever been to Washington DC? if not do you have any desire to go? What site/attraction would you most like to see in that city? If you have been what's your favorite site?

I've been to DC more times than I can count. Growing up I had an aunt and uncle who lived in the Virginia suburbs and I know I was there a time or two as a kid. When hubs and I were newlyweds we spent our one year anniversary in the city. We were living in Richmond at the time so an easy trip. Before moving to England we lived in Annapolis for 9 years and popped in to DC often. Currently my Daughter 1 is gainfully employed in DC so yes I've been to our nations Capital.

My favorite site is The Vietnam Memorial but I also love the monuments at night.

5. sit ups-planks-lunges-squats-which one do you hate the least?

I'll pick lunges but I think it's safe to say I hate them all.

6. What's a small act of kindness someone did for you that you've never forgotten?

I remember a lovely woman in my bible study group back when my kids were small who was always so encouraging to me in my parenting. I had car trouble one week and she went way out of her way to come and get me. Small kindnesses mean a lot.

7. Have you ever been a blood donor?

No. I haven't really had an opportunity in recent years and when I was younger I never weighed enough to be a donor. Now that we've lived in England we're ineligible I think.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

I am loving this beautiful rendition of the song Hallelujah...the singers are Norwegian and I don't think I'm misusing the word when I tell you they're 'amazing'.




34 comments:

  1. I think it's wonderful that you remember the kindness of another Christian lady who was in your Bible study. It's incredibly important that we mentor younger women, having been there ourselves. It's all about being Titus women. Thanks for the questions this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well if you're going for healthy with the snack, guess I'd say clementines too, but I just went snack and immediately said Oreos...not healthy, but oh so good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, love clementines. And, as w/ pretzels, I could eat a handful of clementines in one sitting! I was about to say (nearly verbatim) what you said in answering question 2.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that you mention it, my husband wasn't able to give blood after taking a couple of trips to Africa. I can't remember how long he had to wait.
    I am working on reaching for more fruit.
    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. I agree with the whole occupy word. The media sure can run a word into the ground, huh?
    2. Maybe I'm the same -- older and can laugh at myself rather than be embarrassed.
    3. I have a bowl of clementines on the counter. Pretty and yummy!
    4. I'll read about your trips to D.C. Never been there. Don't know if I will. Have you ever been to the Arch in St. Louis? (I have a friend who grew up in the NE and thought the middle of the country was to just fly over...)
    5. Hate is a good word for that list.
    6. Neat thing to remember. I want to do that when I grow up.
    7. Never weighed enough? Sheesh. ;)
    8. Now, that was some gooood singing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our answers, yours and mine, are quite similar this time 'round.

    Happy Wednesday.

    STAR OF INDIA

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always nice to have an older, wiser woman who has our back. So glad you had one to. I bet a lot of us have stories to tell on that question. I do like fruit but tend to eat more in the warmer weather. Great questions once again, you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You may be right about being ineligible to give blood. Our secretary lived in England for a year and couldn't give. I looked at the list and the dates that were affected, but I don't remember what the years were.
    That is a beautiful song; nicely interpreted!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am completely hooked on Clementines..."Cuties", to be exact! I eat them morning, noon, and night!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love clementines too and pretzels. Clementines are the perfect size! actually last night before bed I had two!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Growing up lived in Baltimore so we went to D.C. a lot-chose Vietnam Memorial, also. Difficult to not grab the M&M's this time of year.
    Beautiful song.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love random acts of kindness.....imagine the world if there were more! You are a good snacker I would probably reach for a pretzel and M&M's ! Beautiful song it's AMAZING! Have a wonderful Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoyed yours and enjoying participating in this for the second week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You and I chose the same word to banish. LOL I love clementines, too, but unfortunately I love sweets more...sigh.

    Thanks for another great set of questions. Wishing you success with your other writing endeavors, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. When my son went to Germany he had to get a lot of shots. I didn't realize you couldn't give blood if you went overseas.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If I don't have clementines in the house, I too grab a small handful of pretzels.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Clementines...oooo...good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Enjoyed the song! Wouldn't it be a better world if everyone practiced random acts of kindness! So many times the act seems small, but the impact can be so great.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I got over here this morning and got the questions and put up my post and then proceeded to forget to link up. Good Lord. Where is my brain?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks, Joyce

    Too thin to give blood? I don't think I've ever been too thin to do anything....I fear it is the opposite with me. I'm not obese but weight control has been a constant struggle with me since age 10.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  21. The only clementine I know anything about is "old my darling." Goodness, I need to change that and see if I can't find one. We have such limited produce in our area but with a name like that, it has to be good.

    I hate them all too, but if I HAD to do any it would be the lunge, looks like we agree on that. :o)

    Thanks for always showing up for us!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Living in another country eliminates your ability to donate blood? I didn't know this. I love clementines, too. In fact, I ate my last one yesterday. How sad!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hallelujah has become one of my favorites. That was a wonderful redition. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm a bona fide pretzel nut too! I can't truly remember being embarrassed, even as teenager. Maybe too oblivious to realize something was embarrassing?

    This was my first week playing along. It was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  25. i love clementines!! not only are they easy to peel, you cannot just have one! they're THAT good!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Enjoyed reading your answers. I would love to get back to DC to visit the Vietnam Memorial. Two guys I knew from high school are on that list.

    I joined in on the Hodgepodge fun on my blog today. Thanks for the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks, as always, for hosting the fun, Joyce. Hope you are having a good day... (visiting D1 according to her blog... enjoy!!). Now, I'm off to buy some clementines.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I agree, I'm over "occupy."

    Enjoyed your answers!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just came from Mindee's blog and now I must know if you have EVER lost a game of Words with Friends?

    Because I think not.

    ReplyDelete
  30. That was a beautiful rendition of that song! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Did you know that there are pretzel M&Ms now? They're good, too. haha

    Like someone else said, I don't know what a clementine is beyond the girl's name in the song. I'll have to investigate that.

    Thanks for the questions. I hope that you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you for stopping by!!
    thanks for hosting the hop!!!

    Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  33. Clementines are my favorite treat to add to salads. I love this time of year for that very reason. Your Hodgepodge questions and answers are always so fun to read and very thought provoking. I really enjoy them. Maybe one day I will participate on my blog. I always answer them in my head while reading. Today, I'm wondering today if I could actually talk if they took away the word "amazing". I realize that I say that way too often. :)

    Have a wonderful weekend! Candace

    ReplyDelete