Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Prepared for the Wednesday Hodgepodge Vol 43

Welcome to the Wednesday Hodgepodge...so glad you joined the party today. Add your link at the bottom of my post and be sure to visit the neighbors. Here are my answers to this week's questions-


1. What is one piece of advice you would give a 'just-turning' 21 year old adult?

Some of the most important decisions of your life are made in these young adult years. Talk to God early and often. Listen too. The listening is as important as the talking.

2. Besides cooler weather (or warmer weather, depending on your hemisphere) what is one thing you are looking forward to this fall?

The leaves changing color...our back woods turn a most gorgeous golden yellow and I never get tired of looking at this-


I'm also going to enjoy our fire pit this fall. I look forward to putting on my jeans, wrapping up in a fleece, and watching the stars in the autumn sky while we sit around a cozy outdoor fire. Fall is my favorite time of year.

3. What sound lulls you to sleep?

As my hubs can attest pretty much any sound will lull me to sleep. I do not have trouble falling asleep. Staying asleep is another matter but I excel at falling asleep. I especially love the sound of water lapping the side of a boat. I do my best sleeping on the water.

4. September is National Preparedness Month...does your family have an emergency 'kit' and/or disaster plan in place?

I've been thinking about this recently in light of the earthquake and hurricane we experienced on the East Coast. Back around 9/11 we did have a family plan. We had bottled water and canned food in the house, kept gas in the cars and some cash on hand. My girls were in middle school then and we discussed what would happen if we were somehow separated due to an emergency situation.

Time marched on and we all relaxed a little and I guess let our preparedness lag. Two weeks ago my daughter was in downtown DC mid earthquake and it occurred to me that we need to revisit our family emergency plans. We're spread out over three states these days and I think we need to discuss as a family what we would do in the event of an emergency that required evacuations or conversely, staying put for days at a time. Putting that on my to-do list.

5. How has your blog changed since you started blogging? Or has it?

I haven't consciously changed my blog but it is a reflection of my life and life has certainly changed since I fell into the world of blogging. I guess its fair to say my blog has changed some too. I've had this same look for a while now. I am not a big fan of the busy backgrounds so the simplicity of this background combined with my personalized header still makes me happy. I continue to write about mid life, parenting young adults, travel and lots of random. I never imagined I'd host a meme...it just sort of happened. That's the case with most things on my blog.

6. What's something you've recently learned to do on the computer?

um. I'm not good with new. I like familiar. I like to learn one way of doing something and when a new and sometimes better way of doing that same task is demonstrated for me I will dig in my heels and resist. Actually, this happens other places in life besides the computer but that's a post for another day. ahem.

I make my daughters crazy because they show me shortcuts and I don't use them. Then I have to phone them for i.t. assistance. Neither of my girls can stand to be looking over my shoulder while I'm trying to find something on the computer. It literally makes them want to jump out of their skin. They try not to let it show but I know. Now all that being said, I do know how to do quite a bit on the computer. I've set up my blog, made videos, uploaded photos, added and resized a logo from an attachment to a flyer, and much more. So I'm really much better than I've made myself out to be. Right girls??

7. Is a picture worth a thousand words? Elaborate.

Sometimes. Yet I always feel the need to add words which is why I'm no good at the Wordless Wednesday thing. I like to explain. When I hear that expression "A picture is worth a thousand words" there is one particular photo that comes to mind. I'll post it here and try to resist the urge to add a caption and/or explanation.

No can do. Hubs took this photo many years ago and it sits in a frame in our house. People always stop and look at this photo and they always comment on the softness, the light, and the feelings it invokes. It seems to stir up a sense of nostalgia and longing in almost everyone who sees it.


8. Insert your own random thought here.

I'm participating in an online read along and discussion of the book of James every Wednesday for the next several weeks. The read along is hosted by Marla Taviano and her motto is the more the merrier. If you're interested in reading along with us hop over here to get the 411.

27 comments:

  1. That picture is priceless, Joyce!! It speaks of shared secrets on lazy afternoons. It speaks of the close relationship you have with your daughters...hours spent sharing and listening to one another. Your husband did a wonderful job of capturing a moment that I'm sure you'll treasure forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to getting back into our school routine. Remind me of this when I am pulling my hair out next week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photo you posted is very evocative. I just want to jump into the frame and join them. Have fun out at the fire pit this fall. Can't think of a better way to spend an autumn evening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great advise to the 21 year old! Water against a boat must be nice but I bet the gentle rocking is nice too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the photo too looks like you are giving some motherly advice or listening to a story being told by your daughter a bonding moment. The lighting is perfect. Growing up in NJ is what made me love fall the trees and acorns what is not to love. Have a wonderful Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The leaves are changing rapidly in your neck of the woods. It's still very green here, but the overnight low dropped 20 degrees in two days. Ugh! I already miss the summer warmth. Fabulous pic of your and your daughter. Thanks for sharing. Blessings, SusanD

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to be able to fall asleep quickly. I miss those days!
    I love the photograph. It looks like a magazine ad.
    I'm looking forward to enjoying the changing colors of the leaves, too.
    Thanks for hosting :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That really is a wonderful photo. I love ones like that--they have the ability to draw you right in, and that's even if you were never there in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the changing colors of fall too and the excitement of the holiday season being around the corner.

    Thanks for hosting, great questions :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that photo. It is so warm and relaxing and peaceful! I suppose there are many Tavianos in the world, but the only time I knew that name was missionaries I met when I lived in Bolivia many years ago. Enjoyed your answers to the questions. I felt like I was pretty computer literate (compared to some) but I don't have FaceBook, don't own an I-pod or I-pad or smartphone etc. etc. I can see I'm getting behind on the technojargon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd never tire of looking at that beautiful tree either. What a lovely view. Your daughters are nicer than mine--she will resist for a short time, then tell me to get up so she can do it. But I do the same thing to my husband, who is even less computer literate than I am!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love that picture of us! It's pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. P.S there is another computer short-cut in my answers today you might want to check out. But you're right, you are so much better with the techy stuff these days!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would have said the trees changing colors- it really is one of my favorite things about fall but, we don't have that many trees with leaves that change around here. I'm with ya on the computer issue- and my girls do the same thing! LOL Precious picture!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just reading about falling asleep to the sound of water noise made me sleepy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Joyce,
    Your picture of the 1,000 words is beautiful! It reminds me of days spent at my grandparents house. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    Food for Thought
    http://100sweets.blogspot.com/2011/09/wednesday-hodgepodge.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ah, daughters... I love that picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. The fall colors (and the cooler weather) are two things I miss most since I live in Florida. Autumn is also my favorite time of year, so please post lots of pictures so I can enjoy the season vicariously!

    ReplyDelete
  19. From the comments I can tell, we all agree. The photo is really very stunning and it does capture the moment. It really doesn´t need explaining.

    ReplyDelete
  20. amazing photo!!! thank you for sharing.

    Hope your week is going well
    Blessings
    Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your fire pit will be awesome and the trees changing color sound wonderful. I like to change my background maybe 4 times a year. I do not like trying new things though. I never try new on blogger, facebook or twitter. Eventually I think they have to change me but I don't like it. Your picture is perfect, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. My daughters are the same way--no patience when it comes to helping me with computer skills-always say-just let us do it for you Mom!
    The pic is beautiful. Fall is Charlie's favorite time of the year--too sad for me-I enjoy spring-life begins to bloom!

    ReplyDelete
  23. that is such a lovely "everyday" picture, joyce. fall, winter... anything cool. in texas we'll take it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Excellent advice on #1.

    And I concur on #2 ... some of God's most beautiful handiwork is on display during the fall. I love trees that turn that beautiful gold. At every house we've lived in, we've planted trees ... and I ask DH for trees that turn a beautiful gold, and he gets me trees that turn a beautiful red instead.

    That truly is an absolutely beautiful picture of you and your daughter.

    I'm definitely going to go check out the read along/discussion on James ... thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Joyce
    thank you for stopping by!!! I appreciate you and your support

    Blessings
    Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm looking forward to seeing the leaves change colors too. It's so beautiful :)

    I LOVE the pic that you posted! So sweet!

    ReplyDelete