Wednesday, March 2, 2011

March on into the Wednesday Hodgepodge-Vol 16

"A light exists in Spring
Not present in the year
at any other period
When March is scarcely here."
~Emily Dickinson

Welcome to the Hodgepodge...
add your link to the bottom of my post and enjoy reading what everyone else had to say today too...here are my answers-


1. March 2nd is Dr. Seuss's birthday so I'm wondering...do you like green eggs and ham? Okay-how about this...how do you like your eggs? Or don't you?

I love eggs and even tried "green eggs and ham" back when I was teaching kindergarten. Five year olds are all over anything involving food coloring. My preferred method of eating an egg is fried over medium however these days I almost always have them poached because cooking them this way doesn't require adding any fat.

Raise your hand if you're tired of thinking about how much fat/sodium/cholesterol is contained inside every single solitary food item you consume.

Raise your hand if you'd like to just dive head first into a chocolate cake right about now?

I can't be the only one can I?

2. Is March coming in like a lion or something less ferocious where you live?

Where I live March is more like a fox than a lion...it's sly. We still have snow on the ground and it rained all day Monday which is very March like I think. We might get a taste of spring at the beginning of the month (so far we haven't) but just when you start to feel like spring might actually arrive BAM! more snow.

Never say never to snow in NJ during this cruelest of months.

I know T.S. Eliot says April is supposedly the cruelest month but in my book he should have gone with March.

3. Do you work better or worse under pressure.

I work better under pressure. I need deadlines, otherwise a little something called procrastination creeps in. I'm happier and more productive when I'm busy and have a few things on my daily and long term to-do list.

4. March Madness-are you a fan? It's college basketball in case you're wondering. And if you're outside the USA tell us, is there any sort of 'madness' taking place during March in your part of the world?

I'm a fan. I can pretty much get caught up in anything competitive, particularly at the collegiate level where there is still a measure of playing for the love of the game. I'm not a big fan of professional basketball. I think that's about the only sport I don't care to watch and I'll spare you a rant here about the off-court conduct of most professional basketball players. Not all, but most. Ugh.

5. Under what circumstances do you do your best thinking?

Sitting with a cup of tea in my quiet sun room with the great outdoors just outside my windows.

Or walking. I try to walk everyday and I do some of my best thinking then.

6. What item of clothing from your wardrobe do you wear most often?

Blue jeans, although judging from the past three months I might have to amend that answer and say my snow boots. They're giving my jeans a run for their money in the most worn category.

7. Do you use sarcasm?

I try not to. Sometimes it comes across as harsh and unkind so I'm mindful of that.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

I ordered my first canvas print last week and am really happy with the finished product. I ordered it here and couldn't believe how quick the turnaround time was. We hung it in the back hallway and its the first thing you see as you hit the landing coming down the back stairs or when you come into the house thru the garage. fyi-we bring company thru the front door but we almost always come in thru the garage.


This picture was taken in a little medieval village known as Provins plunked down in the Champagne region of France. Fields of rape seed blooming as far as the eye can see is without a doubt one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. When I look at this picture I think of traveling with friends, sipping champagne, and the oh so beautiful French countryside.

25 comments:

  1. 1. March 2nd is Dr. Seuss's birthday so I'm wondering...do you like green eggs and ham? Okay-how about this instead...how do you like your eggs? Or don't you? -- Over medium with bacon!! :)

    2. Is March coming in like a lion or something less ferocious where you live? -- Like a sweet lamb in central Texas.

    3. Do you work better or worse under pressure? -- much better under pressure.

    4. March Madness-are you a fan? It's college basketball in case you're wondering. And if you're outside the USA tell us-is there any sort of 'madness' taking place during March in your part of the world? -- I'm a football fan. But ask my 65 year old mom and she knows all the college basketball stats!

    5. Under what circumstances do you do your best thinking? -- Quite time alone

    6. What item of clothing from your wardrobe do you wear most often? -- Jeans

    7. Do you use sarcasm? -- too often for my own good...

    8. Insert your own random thought here. -- I wonder how Cindy Lou Who's hair stayed up.

    Thanks for the great questions and for hosting, Yoli :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry, you're not the only one tired of hearing about the stuff in food regarding cholesterol, I'm right there with you. And yes chocolate cake sounds yummy right about now, should I put on the kettle for tea?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I don't know if I have had a poached egg. Strange.
    I really want to have a canvas print made of a bridal portrait of my daughter. There are a couple of gorgeous photos of her I just have to have printed and hanging in my house.
    I didn't say blue jeans as one of my most worn clothing items...I think I thought it was just a given. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've thought about getting a canvas print of our family...I've seen it done well. BUT...now I like your picture...hmmmm....I'm with you...March is way meaner than April...and I like the sly fox analogy! Wednesday hugs to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for having us!
    Michigan and New Jersey sound VERY similar in March!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful picture. Hope your snow melts soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That print is gorgeous! Did you take the picture yourself?

    Amen to #1. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love eggs....hard boiled, over easy....scrambled...not green! I'm happy to see March it feels like the end is near...the end of snow that is...we are expecting 1-2 inches and single digits by tonight....apparently Buffalo didn't get the message I'm done with winter! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Joyce,
    How've you been? I love seeing your Wednesday HodgePodge and love how easy it is to get me to write a quick post. :)

    I had a poached egg once when I was little and I remember liking it. Since then, I'm not a fan of loose, wet yoke. Eww! I hope you get to shed those boots quickly, and I love canvas prints. I had one done of our girls and it hangs in their bedroom. It's beautiful.

    Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this week's questions!

    And I agree with you on March. It gets our hopes up that spring's here ... and then dashes them - cruelly - with snow/cold weather. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  11. FYI...Yes, I'm sick of thinking about fat and cholesterol--bring on that chocolate cake!!! LOL

    I didn't know that you once taught kindergarten! You are so right about kids and food coloring (and paint!).

    ReplyDelete
  12. It must be nice sitting in your sun room thinking. I always wanted a room like that!
    Thanks for the questions and enjoy the rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My hand is raised! Not only how much fat, but what kind of fat, as well. And let's not forget fiber...
    How I laughed when you wrote that March came in like a fox! Same thing I wrote, but for a different reason!
    I agree with you about sarcasm, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are not the only one. Eggs are good for you--no, they're not. Meat is good for you--no, it's not. Veggies are good for you--as long as you scrub them with Lysol first to kill all the e coli. It gives me a headache.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good morning, Joyce! I, like you, adore my jeans.

    I admire your stance on sarcasm. I use sarcasm a lot, but I have to be careful to make sure it is not hurtful. This is a huge challenge for me. Kudos to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I prefer scrambled eggs, but have never had a poached egg. And I am sooo tired of worrying about the sodium level in the food I eat.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm joining with you all today...I like the questions, Sam I am.
    And your answers, too.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great questions this week! Love the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well, think I'm one of the few that doesn't work well under pressure. Oh, well, can't help it, I just don't.

    I've never eaten a poached egg in my life and probably never will.

    Thanks for always showing up on Wednesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your canvas print looks very peaceful and restful! And my hand is raised for chocolate cake! : )

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello Joyce
    I found your blog through 2 of my friends who are taking part in your fun Hodgepodge posts. I really enjoyed my visit to your blog today. The canvas print is gorgeous. It's a wonderful reminder of your trip there. I was interested to read that you lived over here for several years. Feel free to visit my blog next time you are missing England! I am not blogging very often these days but during the summer months I post more about places we visit. I am 'up north'! It's very spring like here at the moment. bright sunny days but very cold.
    Best Wishes
    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  22. What would we ever do without jeans?!
    I love the canvas idea. I might just have to do present this idea to the Hubby. We have some great shots from our Europe trip that would be so cool to do that with.
    Here's wishing we both get that early Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  23. "Sitting with a cup of tea in my quiet sun room with the great outdoors just outside my window" What a great mental picture that is for me. A great answer!! And I'm all for the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Look at you with all your linky-loo friends! Like 55!
    You da bomb, J-Dawg.

    And I dislike eggs.

    ReplyDelete